HISTORY AND RESTORATION OF THE SALZBURG PANORAMA
Johann Michael Sattler (1786-1847) presented his panorama of the City of Salzburg for the first time to an astounded Salzburg public on Easter Sunday 1829 in a tent on today’s Makartplatz. The panorama painting was thus the first major tourism advertisement for Salzburg: the family went on tour with it throughout Europe for ten whole years – until 1839! For this purpose, the oil painting – 5 m high and 26 m long – was packed onto a houseboat and put on show in many European cities in a specially made wooden pavilion. So even then, the attention of toute Europe was attracted by the beauties of Salzburg and its surroundings! Back in Salzburg, it was shown until 1937 in a round building in today’s Mirabell Gardens, and between 1977 and 2001 in the former Café Winkler on Mönchsberg. After comprehensive renovation, it was re-opened in 2005 in the former main cashiers’ hall of the post office on Residenzplatz.